Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Made It Through Round 1


What a day we have had! At 11:00 this morning we entered a small room and joined six other cancer patients who were hooked up to IV's. Morgan made the comment that it was the first time she really felt like she had cancer. Some were bald, but all were older than she. We walked in with her big fuzzy bear named "Baby Cakes" and her RHS blanket.


Once the IV was started, Morgan was given some anti-nausea/steroid medicine, and then a bag of Cytoxin which took about half an hour. The second drug is called Taxotere. After about 3 minutes of that, Morgan said that she felt really sick, then she couldn't breathe. Her face turned blue and bright red at the same time (hard to explain, but very true). She was also VERY hot to the touch. We were both scared, but the nurse gave her some medicines to help the reaction go away. They said that she had a hypersensitive reaction to the medication and that her immune system was trying to fight the poison.
After clearing out her system with regular saline, they began the medicine again at a slower rate and diluted a little bit. She did fine for the next hour and a half but was very tired as her adrenaline had been going on overload.
I am happy to say that we are home and she is comfy on the couch watching Harry Potter movies. There is a long list of dos and don'ts. She has a lot of things she needs to stay away from. She wants to see people but if you have the sniffles or don't feel well, you can call or text instead.
Morgan's Sweet 16 Birthday is Thursday but she is planning to celebrate on Saturday after the "days of fatigue" go away. Please be mindful that she needs her rest and we are all grateful for all of your love, prayers, and support on behalf of our family.

3 comments:

  1. Morgan- I've been thinking about you all day long. I'm wearing my pink! Love you and will continue to pray for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morgan. I am your uncle Joe's partner at Rexburg Medical Center and he just let us all know what you are going through. I bet you already knew you were one in a million, just not in this particular way! Hang in there through your treatments. We will all be rooting for you at RMC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me but my daughter and her family are in your ward. She told me about this blog. I will be following it and praying for you. I had breast cancer 10 years ago, surgery, and chemo. Just think of me and remember that I had it TEN years ago...and I am still here enjoying my life!It's no picnic, but you can do it!

    ReplyDelete